Pages

Monday, April 30, 2012

A Cut Above - Bonus Day

On the weekend, the teachers for A Cut Above (Kristina Werner, Jennifer McGuire and Nichol Magouirk ) provided us with a Bonus lesson - this one was about using negative space.  This would mean that you would use the paper that you have die cut the shapes from instead or along with the actual die cut pieces.

This is my take on this technique.  I actually started with a long card and had more circles, but due to the size of the circle, I couldn't get as many on the card as I wanted.  I decided to cut down the kraft cardstock so that there were only three holes.  This paper is adhered with foam dots to raise it off the surface and give it more depth. 



I used the heart stamp from one of the Paper Wings  coffee sets - Frothy Concoctions. I actually stamped these by marking the stamp area using a pencil and then erasing before adhering the kraft cardstock.  I used Distress Markers to color both the hearts and the letters from the Whimsical Pattern Alphabet set. to get this coloring effect I used two markers in the same hue but one light and one dark.  I took the darker marker and put some ink down on my craft sheet and then using the lighter marker, I picked up the darker ink, and colored in the bottom of the letter and kept blending as the darker color "ran out" leaving the lighter color marker at the top.  I cut the letters out, added them with a glue pen.  The final element - Rock Candy Stickles !!  I love the subtle sparkle it gives. 

I think this card is great for a guy - it says it all, but it isn't too girly - you know what I mean?  I also think these letters are great fun to add a variety of projects.  And, it was nice using the negative space for a change instead of putting it in my scrap stash for later.  This class has so many great ideas!

happy stamping!

Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment