Pages

Sunday, March 31, 2013

Moxie Fab - Chevron Challenge

Hello again!

Don't you just love a long weekend?  I know I do!  I was so glad to have the time to work on some challenges over at Moxie Fab World.  This is the first one I attempted - The Chevron Challenge.  I don't usually have time to work on card challenges, but I'm going to be making more time in the future. This was fun, and it makes me stretch my creativity.

Here is the sample to get us started:




This is my version!



I'm still working on trying to use products that are already on my desk, and the only thing that was out of reach was the ribbon, but that's only because I keep it on a shelf next to my work space :)

The chevron pattern was a pretty one I had been hoarding, and now was as good of a time as any to cut a piece and use it.  I also found a Crate Paper tag that was in the same muted tones as the chevrons and I thought it would be a good fit.  I used another Thank You stamp from Hero Arts.  I cut it in half and stacked the sentiment to fit the tag a little better.

This is when I got stuck - I just didn't know where to go from here and it was a bit "flat" and needed some items to set the paper off from the card base (which was going to be white, but I switched to kraft) and be flattering with the colors in the pattern paper.

 

I found that I also had a sticker border sheet that was the same line as the tag I had cut, and I added this detail to the bottom, bringing out the aqua lettering.  To set off the pattern paper from the base, I added a chocolate brown cardstock from my stash.  I added the vanilla ribbon to this layer and added the tag to the ribbon.  I heard this tip from Julie Ebersole I think - instead of threading the ribbon through the tag, I snipped the tag at the top through to the hole and then attached it to the ribbon. I love how this works and I don't have to fight with the tag when tying the ribbon.  The slit is hidden under the ribbon and I used foam tape to lift it off the card and keep it in place. For some last details, I found some tiny pearls to add to the sticker border on the tag, and a Prima flower in a shade that perfectly matched the pink coral in the chevron.


Tips to remember:
1. Step away and come back to look at the card with fresh eyes.
2. Cut a slit to slip tag over ribbon after it is tied.
3. Don't be afraid to cut a stamp to make it fit your needs.


This was my first challenge in quite awhile. I liked being able to push myself more to create an even better card.  This hoarded stash of mine is definitely coming in handy.  Check my other Moxie Fab Challenge post for the Speech Bubble Challenge here.




Thanks for stopping by!
Julie


Supplies
Stamps: Thank You, Hero Arts
Ink: Stazon Timber Brown, Tsukineko
Paper:  Wayfarer "Knockabout", Bazzill; Crumb Cake, Stampin' Up!; brown cardstock from stash.
Embellishments:  "Pretty Party" tag and border stickers, Crate Paper; pearls (stash); Flower, Prima; Vanilla Taffeta Ribbon, Stampin' Up!.
Other: foam adhesive, Stampin' Up!; Cropadile, We R Memory Keepers.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Julie! Thanks for linking this up to the Chevron Challenge in the Moxie Fab World! I'm so glad you joined in on all the fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really great chevron card, Julie! You really made that patterned paper shine with the addition the tag and embellishments.

    ReplyDelete